The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that you take your child for the first dental visit as early as 6 months of age, 6 months after the first tooth erupts and no later than your child’s first birthday.
As a Board Certified pediatric dentist, Dr. Evy has received extensive training so she can treat the medical, developmental, emotional, and behavioral needs of your growing child. She is the only holistic pediatric dentist practicing in the Austin area. She has treated babies as young as one day old to revise a tongue tie or lip tie that were causing breastfeeding problems, extract natal teeth (teeth a child is born with), and numerous babies and infants as early as 12 months of age (before their upper front baby teeth were fully erupted) for early childhood caries.
What to Expect – Pediatric Exams
Dr. Evy will greet you and your child on your first visit. We invite you to stay with your child during the initial examination. For subsequent treatment appointments, if your child is old enough, we invite you to encourage your child to experience the dental visit on their own to help us establish a closer rapport with them. Our intent is to gain your child’s confidence and help overcome any apprehension, so we will guide your child through the process of each individual procedure in terms he or she can understand.
Dr. Evy will review your child’s medical and dental history, and conduct a gentle examination of your child’s head and neck area, soft tissues of the oral cavity, jaws, teeth, and gums. She will particularly examine for any tongue or lip frenulums (tongue-tie or lip-tie) as well as these are two anatomical attachments that very often are not examined, diagnosed, and treated. X-rays may be taken to diagnose any tooth decay, pathology, and to check the progress of tooth development. We may clean your child’s teeth and discuss appropriate natural non-fluoridated toothpaste choices as part of a preventive plan against tooth decay. Dr. Evy will also share information on healthy dietary lifestyle choices, oral hygiene habits and other important topics. If treatment is needed, Dr. Evy will discuss the recommended treatment plan with you.
Preventative Pediatric Dental Services:
- Dental exams and cleaning (prophylaxis)
- Digital dental x-rays (homeopathy for dental x-rays available upon request)
- Fluoride-free, BPA-free dental sealants
- Upper lip tie and tongue tie assessment
- Dietary counseling for good oral health
- Age appropriate oral hygiene recommendations
- Preventative services for special care needs patients
Restorative Pediatric Dental Services:
- Biocompatibility testing for dental materials available
- Resin composite fillings (BPA-free white fillings)
- Crowns (only when absolutely necessary)
- Oral conscious sedation
- Nitrous oxide sedation (laughing gas)
- General anesthesia for pediatric dental services (provided at an Austin outpatient surgical center)
- Accommodations for dental care for children with special care needs can be arranged at a local outpatient surgical center
Specialized Pediatric Dental Services:
- Ozone therapy in dental procedures
- Lip tie and tongue tie laser frenectomy
- Non-invasive dental laser treatment options (for ulcers, fever blisters, etc.)
- Custom mouth guards for student-athletes
- Early interceptive orthodontics, habit solutions, correction of sleep breathing disorders through the Healthy Start System